Thursday, July 27, 2006

Return to Ardmore, Oklahoma - July 24, 2006.

I began my trip on June 29th by driving to my sister Connie's home near Storden, Minnesota. We had a celebration on the 4th of July for my parent's (Chuck & Grace Childs) 64th wedding anniversary. It was a wonderful time with my parents, two sisters (Connie & Candy), their husbands (Norm & Wayne), two nieces and their husbands and two of my nieces daughters.

After a great celebration, I began driving to Florida on July 5th. Arrived at Tallahassee for a wonderful dinner and lunch the next day with a dear friend. I then began a journey of a lifetime for me. I had always wanted to visit as many Civil War battlefields as I could. I never had taken the time to do it and now I had the opportunity. I didn't necessarily traverse them in any chronilogical order. I just stopped when I found them. I went to Gettysburg, Antietam (Sharpsburg), Manassas (Bull Run), Appomatix Court House, Chickamauga, Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg, and Andersonville.

What a journey through history for me. It totaled 26 wonderful days and 5600 miles of driving. I discovered several things through my travels, but one that will stick with me for a while. Through out my life time, I have always looked for the short cut to get somewhere, always taking the interstates and better traveled roads. What I found out on this trip is that there is a lot of beautiful country just off the main roads. The people there are genuine and friendly. They are not in a hurry to get through life. I pray that all my journeys in the future will be "off road".

For those of you that heard of the situation with my son Charles in Anchorage, it has a very happy ending. As you know, it appeared he was scheduled for brain surgery this coming Saturday. Through tests and the doctor's expertise, a chemical imbalance was found that caused his dyslexia and they will be able to control it with medication. No surgery necessary....praise the Lord.

Thank you for your comments on this wonderful journey. My next travels will be starting on August 15th when I go on a familiarization tour for "tour planners" in Missouri. It should be loads of fun and plenty of opportunities to take some more pictures. Hopefully the motels will have high speed internet so that I can post them.

I will continue to make posts from time to time perhaps showing you what is happening here in Ardmore and the surrounding areas.

Thank you and God Bless you all!!!! Stay off the main roads and travel real America!

Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home